Take your sailing knowledge to the next level!
If you’re ready to take your sailing knowledge to the next level then you are ready for the RYA Day Skipper Shorebased (Theory) course.
This comprehensive course will expand your knowledge in all areas of sailing and navigation – the ideal preparation for owning your own yacht or chartering a yacht on your next holiday.
This is a 40 hour course that ideally should be completed prior to the Dayskipper Practical Course so you will be able to put the theory into practice as you head offshore. You will find this course invaluable if you want to learn how to navigate a coastline and make sound decisions onboard.
The location: We offer a classroom based theory course delivered in the modern, comfortable premises of The Navigator Chart Room located at Swanwick, Hamble.
Accomodation available at The Navigator.
Ability After Course: Background theoretical knowledge of coastal navigation, seamanship, safety and meteorology to skipper a small vessel in familiar waters by day, be able to use charts to set a course and do position fixing. Once you have also completed the RYA Day Skipper Practical Course you will be eligible to charter a yacht anywhere in the world.
- Charts & navigation publications
- Chart Corrections
- Compass errors - variation & deviation
- Terminology & chart symbols
- Lights & buoyage
- Latitude & longitude
- Position fixing, course and speed
- Dead Reckoning & EP's
- Use of plotting equipment
- Tides and Tidal Definitions
- Secondary Port Calculations
- Use of tidal diamonds & tidal stream atlas
- Restricted Visibility
- Log Keeping
- Transits, leading and clearing lines
- GPS & use of way points
- Pilotage & Port entries
- Passage Preparation and Planning
- Ropes, knots & splicing
- Anchoring, docking & mooring
- Safety equipment - use & stowage
- Emergency situations
- Gear failure
- International Collision Regulations
- Pollution & marine environment
Prior experience and training: A minimum of the RYA Competent Crew course is recommended.
Duration: The classroom based course is offered as a 5 day intensive classroom based course - 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Next Course Dates:
20th - 24th Nov
11th- 15th Dec
Call David on 07506 122584 to book
Ready to go? Book now